Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Wonderful Night: Stevie Wonder honored at the Apollo



Simply put: it was a wonderful night.

Stevie Wonder was inducted into the Apollo Theater Hall of Fame last night in what was a star-studded tribute to a living music legend.

Performers - who all sang classic Stevie songs - included Melanie Fiona ("Higher Ground"), Yolanda Adams ("Love's In Need of Love Today"), Take 6 ("I Wish"), Raphael Saadiq ("I Was Made to Love Her") and Kim Burrell ("Knocks Me Off My Feet").

There were a few surprises as well - Tony Bennett honored Stevie and they put on an impromptu performance of "For Once in My Life." Paul Shaffer, Questlove and Chick Corea also joined the Ray Chew led band for a tribute.

Rap legend Doug E. Fresh also hit the stage as he beat-boxed for Stevie who sang "All I Do" in one of the night's most memorable performances.


Stevie also performed "Fingertips," "My Cherie Amour," "Do I Do," "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" and he closed out the show with "Living for the City."

Other guests included Spike Lee, Phylicia Rashad, Gabourey Sidibe, Anika Noni Rose, Wyclef Jean, Sherri Shepherd, Martha Reaves, Rev. Al Sharpton and celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson.

The celebration didn't stop with ceremony.

Wonder, Lee and Fresh joined DJ D-Nice in the deejay booth for the after party held in a giant tent behind the world famous theater.

Wonder sang "Jungle Fever" and "Ribbon in the Sky" while Fresh beat-boxed. And of course, Lee was there recording the whole thing on his iPad.



No comments: