Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Marsha Ambrosius tackles bullying and suicide in new video


He's not accepted by his community for his same sex sexuality.

He's pushed away by people who once accepted him. He's given dirty looks, bullied and beaten up.

It's too much for him too handle, and he escapes the only way he knows how --- suicide.

That's what we witness in Marsha Ambrosius' stunning new video, "Far Away."

While the video is not real, the situation is something that cannot be ignored.

Every year one million people commit suicide.

Ambrosius knows all too well. She lost one of her own friends to suicide.

"As an artist I have an opportunity to make music that affects people, and if my music can evoke the emotion that stirs up social awareness and save lives, then why wouldn’t I?” the singer tweeted today.

I think Ambrosius should be pleased with her effort to make a change because it certainly has a lot of people talking. Hopefully that's the first step. Not since TLC's "Waterfalls" have we seen a music video that addresses pressing issues of today's society in such a strong way.

Suicide and bullying were brought to the forefront last year after a string of tragic teenage deaths that made news.

One of the biggest cases happened when Rutgers student Tyler Clementi committed suicide after he discovered his roommate secretly broadcast a video of him engaging in a sexual act with a same-sex partner.

At the conclusion of the video, the following text was displayed:

"Dear friends,

Every year over 1 million people commit SUICIDE. Some were BULLIED because of their SEXUALITY. I lost a friend to SUICIDE, and I'm asking all of you to support alternative lifestyles. Don't put up with or join in with BULLYING. It's time we become more aware in this WORLD. Take a responsibility to make a difference. So if my MUSIC can save one life, I've done my job.

I love you all so much."




No comments: