Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Rick Ross album is out, and I ain't foolin' with it


Call him Rick Ross. Ricky Rozay. Big Meech. Officer Ricky.

It doesn't matter what you call him because I'm not buying/supporting/listening to the latest installation from the Miami rapper, born William Leonard Roberts II.

I've practically heard the whole album because New York radio plays his music all the time. And I'm pretty sure his alliance with Diddy's "Dream Team" has helped with that.

I really don't want to use the "F" word, but let's keep it real - Ross is a fraud.

His stage name comes from former drug kingpin, Ricky Ross, who became infamous in Los Angeles in the 80s. The original Ross even filed a lawsuit against the rapper for stealing his name.

OK, so taking someone else's name isn't such a bad thing. Big deal, right?

We also saw how 50 Cent embarrassed "The Boss" rapper by revealing his past as a corrections officer, and releasing video interviews with one of Ross' baby-mother's.

Eh, who cares, right?

Fast forward to Ross' new album, Teflon Don, released today.

The album is stacked with hip-hop heavyweights who have already established themselves in the music game. Good stragegy, I guess, but I ain't foolin' with it.

The 12-track album looks like a 2010 DJ Clue mixtape - features include Jay-Z, T.I., Drake, Erykah Badu, Kanye West, Diddy, Gucci Mane, Ne-Yo, Cee-Lo, Jadakiss, Styles P, Trey Songz, Chrisette Michele and Raphael Saadiq. Whew! All we're missing is Nicki Minaj, Keyshia Cole and a phoned in verse from Lil' Wayne!

There's only one song - "I'm Not a Star" - that doesn't feature another artist.

Lastly, I can't fool with an album that includes lyrics with a pathetic reference to 9/11.

On "Super High" (featuring Ne-Yo), Ross raps, "We doin' it big, it's goin' down - 9/11 / I'm doin' it big, pullin' up in a 911." (the latter is a reference to the Porsche 911)

But really, "it's goin' down - 9/11?"

We've all heard "it's goin' down - basement!"

A lot of things "go down." Stairs? An elevator? Monica Lewinsky?

Ross, you couldn't use something else??

The reference to 9/11 in "Super High" is just unnecessary, heartless and disgusting.

Ross strikes super low with a reference to the biggest tragedy our country has ever seen.

In 2010, we have to listen to edited versions of "Juicy" by the Notorious B.I.G., who said, "Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade." But this was pre-9/11.

Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade has been making headlines for his recent 9/11 comments, and he even released an apology. (Read the story)

Well, I think it's time that Rick Ross issues an apology, and radio and television stations start editing "Super High."

In the meantime, I ain't foolin with Mr. Rozay and his new album.

Maybe after reading this, you won't either.

--------------

If you've been under a rock and haven't heard "Super High" - here's the video:

2 comments:

Candace said...

#UDIDTHAT I'm not fooling with just because I think he's wack.. #sueme...

KungFuGangsta said...

terrible critique