Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Drake-a-mania runs wild


He's 23. He gained initial fame for his role on a teenage Canadian television series. And believe it or not, he's standing tall as one of the hottest rapper's in the game.

Drake's debut album, "Thank Me Later," nearly went gold in its first week. He sold an impressive 463,000 copies. Pretty good considering it was leaked well in advanced.

He signed more than 500 copies of the album at the Best Buy in New York's Union Square on the day of his album release. I was able to speak to the former "Degrassi: The Next Generation" actor briefly after the signing. CLICK HERE for the story




But it wasn't long before the 'best day he ever had' turned chaotic.

A free concert featuring Drake at New York's South Street Seaport was shut down after more than 25,000 unruly fans showed up. The beautiful outdoor concert with ships in the background was called off before Drake even arrived. Restless fans threw flower pots, chairs and bottles as cops swarmed the popular New York City attraction.




Drake's response to the riot:

"I am humbled by the crowd that showed up in support of my performance," the Toronto native said through his spokeswoman. "Unfortunately, the show was canceled by the NYPD due to overcrowding, leaving me without the chance to give my fans a real show."



Drake on the release of his album:

"I can't even believe it's happening," he told the Daily News after the signing.

"It's crazy, it's like the beginning of my journey, although I've come so far already.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/2010/06/15/2010-06-15_drake_celebrates_release_of_new_album_thank_me_later_in_union_square.html#ixzz0sAyapqDw

No comments: