Sunday, March 28, 2010

Erykah Badu keeps fans waiting, but doesn't disappoint


Don't you badu that again!!

Fans waited patiently for Erykah Badu on Saturday night at her "secret" concert in New York City. However, the singer didn't show up until early Sunday morning - 1:30 a.m. to be exact.

No reason was given for her showing up so late.

However, the Grammy Award-winning singer didn't cheat her fans. She performed hits - old and new - over the course of an hour and a half set. The show, held at Good Units in the basement of the Hudson Hotel, was over by 3 a.m.




The advertised start time of the show was 9 p.m. Opening acts included MNDR, the Tony Castles and Spank Rock. Fans even started booing and signally for Spank Rock to get off the stage when he performed "Shake It Til My Dick Turns Racist." The crowd was beyond restless.

When Miss Badu finally arrived she wore a trench coat and kicked off her highly anticipated show performing "20 Feet Tall" off her new album.




Her fifth album, New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh), is slated to be released on Tuesday, March 30.

She closed out the show with "Window Seat," the first single off her new album. (The video for the song was also released on her Web site on Saturday - check it out at www.erykahbadu.com)




Overall, Badu did not disappoint. She sounded great, and she treated long-time fans to some Baduism, including hits "On and On," "Other Side of the Game" and "Danger."

--------------
Notes:



-Spotted: Damon Dash was in the building for the show. He seemed to be enjoying himself as he looked down onto the stage from the balcony area.

-Cost: General admission for this "secret" show was only $20.







1 comment:

Mia6998 said...

You know my opinion, I like the live version of her singing window seat compared to her "creative" video that she released Saturday.

And for $25 (ticket plus extra -ish that get added on) I got my monies worth. But the jury is still out for me on if I'm going to buy this album. I guess I have to show my support with my dollars otherwise good music won't get created and distributed.

Thanks again for joining me ;)