Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Rihanna's new single: Not worth the wait


W
e waited for this?

That's my response after listening to Rihanna's "Russian Roulette," the first single off of her upcoming album, Rated R.  (click here to download the song or listen below)



The much anticipated single, penned by singer/writer Ne-Yo, leaves me strongly disappointed that anyone could have been waiting for this slow lukewarm track.

The singer, who brought us recent hits like "Umbrella," "Please Don't Stop the Music" and "Disturbia," could have came a little harder than this!!  Not even a bangin' video or club remix could save this song.  I'm sorry, I'm just not feelin' it!!

"Russian Roulette," released this morning, is not your typical Rihanna party song.  In fact, it's rather boring and sleepy-sounding. 

"And you can see my heart beating / You can see it through my chest," she wails on the chorus. "Said I'm terrified, but I'm not leaving. I know that I must pass this test. So just pull the trigger."

Blah, blah, blah.

The best part of the track was the end when the sound of a gun shot goes off.  I felt like I had been shot after listening to that!!

I'll turn my attention to the second single because I'm pulling the trigger on this disaster. 

The problem I have is not with the song itself. It's more of a problem with the song being released as the FIRST single. I think she should have stuck to her old formula of something uptempo and club-friendly. "Russian Roulette" could have been a third or even second single.  But the big build up for this?  Not worth it.

Rihanna pretty much disappeared after she was beaten and badly bruised by ex-boyfriend Chris Brown in February after a pre-Grammy Award party.

She's recently returned to sing the chorus on Jay-Z's "Run This Town" and she appeared in Kanye West's video for "Paranoid." 

Her new album is slated to hit stores on Nov. 23.


"RUSSIAN ROULETTE" - LYRICS

Take a breath
Take it deep
Calm Yourself
He says to me
If you play
You play for keeps
Take a gun
And count to 3
 
I’m sweating it out
Moving slow
No time to think
My turn to go
 
And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest
Said I’m terrified, but I’m not leaving
I know that I must pass this test
So just pull the trigger
 
Say a prayer
To yourself
He says close your eyes
Sometimes it helps
And then I get
A scary thought
That he’s here
Means he’s never lost
 
And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest
Said I’m terrified, but I’m not leaving
I know that I must pass this test
So just pull the trigger
 
As my life flashes before my eyes
I’m wondering will I 
Ever see another sun rise
So many won’t get the chance to say goodbye
But it’s too late to think of the value of my life
 
And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest
Said I’m terrified, but I’m not leaving
I know that I must pass this test
 
And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest
Said I’m terrified, but I’m not leaving
I know that I must pass this test
So just pull the trigger

2 comments:

darjar10 said...

ha u dig into her bad! give her a chance lol

Inside Melanie's head said...

Um it's okay.. Her vocals sound a lot better than the normal nasally wailing she does.