Saturday, October 17, 2009

Real life drama to bring Usher back to the top?



Take some real life problems, write a song about it and turn it into a hit to revive your dry career.

That's what Usher is doing with his new single, "Papers." Or that's what he hopes will happen.

The formula -- drama + song = success -- worked for Usher in 2004 when he released his Confessions album on the heels of a break up with TLC's Chilli.

Usher soared to the top of the charts during the "Confessions" era of his career with hits like "Burn" and "Confessions Part II."

But since then he's gotten married to his slightly older stylist Tameka Foster, had two kids, released a weak album -- Here I Stand -- and fell victim to more relevant R&B acts (i.e. Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, etc.).

Well, it's no surprise to anyone that his marriage with Tameka is now heading towards splitsville.

The news of a divorce between the Raymonds was made public recently, but Usher is making the separation a launching pad for his latest single.

"For you I gave my heart and turned my back against the world / 'Cause you were my girl, girl, girl / I done damn near lost my mama, I done been through so much drama / I done turned into the man that I never thought I'd be. I'm ready to sign them papers, papers, papers," he sings on the chorus of the Sean Garrett penned track.

"Papers" is smart thinking for the 31-year-old singer, who is on the verge of getting eaten alive by artists like Chirs Brown, Trey Songz, Mario and ughhh - T-Pain? Okay, maybe not the Auto-Tune perp.

Let's see what his second single can do. His album Raymond v. Raymond is due out in December.

Usher and his soon-to-be ex-wife have not finalized the divorce because apparently Usher has not signed "the papers."  Rumor is that he is waiting to do it around the time when his album drops.  What a publicity stunt that would be!?

If you haven't heard the song, check out below -- what do you think?




No comments: