Friday, September 25, 2009

O-prah raps with Jay-Z


The only thing that Oprah show featuring Jay-Z lacked was a hype man - or Gayle King - coming out and yelling to the crowd, "Everybody put your hands in the air!"

Jay walked out shaking hands of overzealous women excited to see the 39-year-old rapper with an 11 album career. Some even jumped frantically like Oprah was giving away free Bentley's.

What really took me by surprise is that people were throwing up the "Roc" or "Dynasty" hand sign. I couldn't believe I was seeing this on the Oprah show!!

"You never thought that hip-hop would take it this far," The Notorious B.I.G. said on "Juicy."

And I couldn't agree more with that line.

I never thought I would see the day that Jay-Z would be getting interviewed on Oprah while fans in the crowd threw up the "Dynasty" sign.

Oprah also casually strolled through Jay's former stomping grounds of the Marcy Projects, where he grew up and used to sell crack.

This was indeed a milestone moment for hip-hop.

Jay talked about growing up in the tough projects, his father abandoning him at 11 and even the tumultuous Chris Brown-Rihanna relationship.

But the highlight was Jay-Z teaching O-prah how to "spit" - or rap.

The crowd even helped cheer O-prah on. They clapped on the beat and chanted, "Go Oprah! Go Oprah!"

Of course, there was no Auto Tune. Jay killed that. Well, kind of.

1 comment:

UrbanSophistic said...

Funny I'm working on a post about this called...."Take 24: Does Oprah Need Them More than They Need Her?"

LOL. That show was hilarious.

They did throw up the rock---I was stunned. And she didn't badger Jay about being a past drug dealer? Lol