Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Celebrating life and my blog


I spent my first hour of my 26th birthday working.

But that was absolutely fine with me because I work doing something I enjoy.

I decided a year ago that I would launch my blog on my 25th birthday. (my first blog - second blog -third blog)

I had no idea what to focus my blog on. I wasn't sure if people wanted to read about what I was doing every day so I didn't treat this as my personal journal. Instead I decided to post interesting articles and write about topics that I couldn't write about during my 9-5 (or I should say my 5-1).

I've written about cool concerts, album reviews and nightlife through the eyes of a young adult. I've also shared videos and flicks that I've shot. (check the archives)

I will continue to blog as time allows. I often want to blog more than I do, but time flies when you're working a full-time job [where you are never really "off" the clock].

Today, I received birthday texts, phone calls and Facebook messages. But it all became a blur after watching a video of the horrific beating of 16-year-old Derrion Albert.


Albert, an innocent bystander and an honor student at the Christian Fenger Academy High school, was savagely beaten during a fight between rival gangs. He was hit with wood planks and viciously stomped while laying helplessly on the ground.

He never got to finish high school or go to college. His family has been left heartbroken and there's no reason for it. It's disgusting and I'm glad to hear there have been arrests made, but nothing can bring Derrion back.

It saddens me to see our young people behave in this manner and I wonder what can be done?

My condolences to his family and friends. I hope they find the strength to get through this difficult time. R.I.P. Derrion.

I've posted the video of the beating below -- we need to stop the violence --

No comments: