Friday, February 20, 2009

Road to Mardi Gras: At the Clearport [yeah, I call it the Clearport]

I'm at the LaGuardia Airport in New York preparing to depart for my trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Well, actually the flight is going to Atlanta first.

Nonetheless, I just enjoyed a delicious breakfast from Burger King -- the french toast sticks meal. Ummmmm good!!
I almost choked on my orange juice when I overheard a story on CNN [The Airport network] about a hair weave that saved a woman's' life!! Apparently she was shot and the bullet was lodged in her hair weave!! TOO FUNNY!! I'm glad the woman is OK.

And while I'm sitting here I can't help but think about those who were on Flight 3407, which crashed en route to Buffalo.

Just last Friday I was looking for family members of passengers who were from North Jersey. As a reporter for a daily newspaper, I've learned not to let my emotions get involved with my duties and responsibilities.

Last week, I never really got a chance to sit back and think about all of those who were effected.

I was so busy "trying to get the story."

Well, at this moment I'm thinking about those whose lives were taken last Thursday. I'm thinking about their families they left behind and how that could have been any one of us. No one is invincible.

I'm looking forward to a safe trip to and from New Orleans. But this year has already shown us we have to always be prepared for any circumstances. The Miracle on the Hudson was just that -- a miracle. It's too bad the folks on Flight 3407 weren't as fortunate.

-MJF


*****Check back as I'll attempt to blog throught my Mardi Gras experience in New Orleans.

No comments: