Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mardi Gras: Day Five -- THE BIG DAY!









Again, I fell behind on my Mardi Gras blog. So here is my effort to give you the rundown on what happened.

It's Tuesday, Feb. 24 -- the day known as Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday.

Mardi Gras is celebrated with a series of parades along the streets of New Orleans. The decorative floats slowly cruised the streets as people begged, yelled and screamed for beads or "throws." The kids seemed to make out the best as they came away with more toys than a Christmas with no recession. 
The sun was beaming down and I think it was about 70 degrees. That's the weather I went down to New Orleans for. It felt great to be out of the freezing northeast.

One of my favorite parts of Mardi Gras was the excitement of those who attended. Many were dressed up in costumes. We saw someone dressed as a memebr of popular rock group KISS. There was a couple dressed in a Batman/Batwoman costume.


We checked out the parades led by the krewes of the Zulu and Rex.

People went crazy trying to get a hand-painted coconut from the Zulu krewe, who were celebrating their 100th anniversary.

While the parades seem to be moving along without any problems, I got a call from a friend of mine asking me if I was OK. The reason being because there was a shooting along the parade route. Let's keep in mind this was in the middle of the afternoon!! I couldn't believe it! Seven people, including an infant, were hit. None seriously injured.

We were taking one of our friends to the airport. Otherwise I would have been at the scene trying to find out what happened.

After returning from the airport, it didn't seem like this shooting affected much of anything. The parades were still going on. Beads were still falling from the air. And people were still losing their voices as they screamed for "throws."

I finally got a taste of beignets, which was nothing more than a zeppole that you could buy at a fair/carnival in New Jersey/New York. I don't know what all the fuss was about. 






Well, at least my Mardi Gras experience was complete and I did just about everything a Mardi Gras first-timer is suppose to do. I think I would come back again for Mardi Gras. I would strongly encourage anyone who has never been before to check out Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It's something everyone should experience.

Until next year...

No comments: