Thursday, February 5, 2009

Etta James says Beyonce "gonna get her ass whipped"


"You guys know your president, right?" asked singer Etta James. "You know the one with the big ears?"

"Wait a minute, he ain't my president," she continued to tell an audience last week in Seattle. "He might be your president, but he ain't my president."

"But I tell you that woman he had for him singing my song, she gonna get her ass whipped," said James as a crowd clapped and cheered.

"And I can't stand Beyonce," she said. "She had no business up there singing up there on a big 'ole president thing singing my song that I been singing forever."



If you haven't heard Etta James rant on Beyonce and President Obama, here it is:


--------------------------

It's the audio clip that has been making the rounds on the Internet and radio shows.

I heard it yesterday while listening to the Wendy Williams radio show. I thought it was a joke, but it was real.

How could Etta James be talking about Beyonce? Beyonce played her in the recently released movie "Cadillac Records." (pictured above)


Not to mention, she eloquently and gracefully performed Etta James' "At Last" as President Obama and his wife took their first dance at the inauguration ball.

I think Etta James, who is 71, didn't realize that we are living in 2009, not 1959.

Didn't Etta realize people videotape/record EVERYTHING and then post it and share it with the whole world on the Internet? I'm sure Etta James doesn't have a blog or check YouTube. Perhaps if she did she wouldn't be so quick to criticize and talk bad about Beyonce.

After all, Etta should probably thank Beyonce for bringing her song to a new generation. It's thanks to Beyonce that some people even know who Etta James is!!

NEWSFLASH to Etta: You were NOT the first person to sing "At Last" and that's NOT "your song." It was originally recorded by Glenn Miller and made it to no. 14 on the pop Billboard charts in 1942. In 1957, Nat King Cole recorded the song. Other singers -- inclulding Etta James -- began covering the popular track. Etta needs to go have another drink. Real talk!


I'm sure Beyonce, who is a true class act, will not respond to Etta's remarks.

I would hope Etta had one too many drinks and comes out and blames the whole rant "on the alcohol."

But either way, I have three words for Etta: "Get over it!"

Vince McMahon, if you are reading this blog do us all a favor and book this match, Etta James vs. Beyonce, for Wrestlemania 25 in Houston. Let's see a ladder match and put the rights to this song in a briefcase. I'd like to see who comes out on top. I got my money on B.



Beyonce performs "At Last" at the inauguration ball as President Obama and his wife take their first dance:

No comments: