Sunday, January 4, 2009

On Blast: Bowling alley denies admission for "attitude"



My friends and I had been looking forward to enjoying one of New York’s newest attractions – Lucky Strike Lanes (bowling alley and lounge) on 42nd Streeet and 12th Avenue.

However, midway through being let into the building we were asked to leave because we didn’t have “the right attitude,” according to a doorman who was checking IDs. (note: You have to be 21 and over to get in.)

In addition to checking IDs, this unidentified man was also doing a very thorough check of our attire.

As soon as my four friends and I approached the entrance we were briefed by this gentleman that after 8 p.m. Lucky Strike has a dress code. We told him that we were aware of that.

A few of us had on hooded jackets and sweatshirts and knit hats on our heads to keep warm from the frigid temperatures around 12:30 a.m. Sunday [1/4].

We were asked to take off the hats and open up our jackets in the frigid cold so that this man could check our attire. He looked very carefully at each of us, making several comments about our outfits and even said to one of my friends, “You’re not going to take your shirt off are you?”

Of course, he wasn’t. What kind of question is that?

After the thorough check and questioning, which felt like an interrogation, my friends and I were let in.

But I quickly went to read the dress code sign that was posted. When I joined my friends to walk in I was asked again by this man for my ID.

I told him I showed it to him already. He asked again and I said, but I showed it to you. I kept my composure, there was no shouting. I provided my ID for a second time, it was checked and everything was OK. So I thought.

Then I as I walked in a security guard or bouncer, also at the front door, said to me, “Sometimes it pays to be nice to people.”

I didn’t know where that comment came from and I didn’t say anything. I just proceeded to walk in with my friends who were already inside.

As I entered I was stopped and my friends were asked to leave by the man who was checking our IDs and attire. “Not tonight guys,” he said, as he asked us to leave.

I asked what the reason was and he said, “You guys don’t have the right attitude.”

It felt we were being given a hard time from the minute we approached the bowling alley and they were looking for a reason not to admit us.

It was really upsetting because it felt like we were being discriminated against and flat out treated unfairly.

As a new business that just recently opened in New York, I would expect them to conduct business in a more professional manner than that.

My friends and I did not argue with anyone nor did we use any inappropriate language. We conducted ourselves calmly despite being pressed at the door in the freezing cold. All we wanted to do was go bowling.

Instead we took a long walk up 42nd Street to our cars and left.

Not exactly the night we had planned.

We would really like to inform the public of Lucky Strike’s antics and hope that no one else has to experience this type of treatment.


Time to forget Lucky Strike on 42nd, should have went to Harlem Lanes (on 126th and 7th in Harlem).

TO READ THE DRESS CODE POLICY FOR LUCKY STRIKE: CLICK HERE.


Note: In the policy it states, "Management reserves the right to deny entry for rude, argumentative or offensive behavior."


It also states they do not permit things such as "excessively baggy clothing," "chains," and "ripped or soiled clothing."

2 comments:

Chris said...

The hell does dude think he's running, Studio 54? My goodness. It's a shame people still act as ignorantly as they do in 2009, but sure enough, the word will spread that their business practices are wack and they won't have a leg to stand on.

ClassiChick said...

I had a similar situation to me, but the hostess inside toward me that I was too happy to enjoy myself at a club in Miami. Overally excessive happiness?!?!!! Like, wtf! I'm a happy person, but wtf, who does that. You all handled urself lovely. I went off first on the owner, then walked away... ;) They didn't ruin my night; I just went to next hot lounge and had a rum runner. Yum!