Sunday, October 19, 2008

DSU Homecoming 2008 - STEP SHOW: From the outside looking in


Standing outside the Step Show that was filled to capacity. :-(

First, kudos to whoever made the decision to put the DSU Homecoming Step Show on Friday. I just wish I could have seen it!

In a nutshell, I drove from Teaneck, N.J. to Dover, Del. in about three hours. I didn't leave until about 6 p.m., so I was already anticipating missing most of the show. I had planned to leave early -- but I didn't -- so I'll accept responsibility for missing the step show. Although the reason I couldn't even get inside was because the gym was filled to capacity, according to campus flashlight security at the door.(Note: Traditionally the Step Show is held on Thursday, but switching it to Friday meant you may not have had to take any days off from work to fully enjoy homecoming. It also meant one fewer night at a hotel.)

As I predicted on this blog, the brothers of the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. walked away with their 4th straight DSU Homecoming Step Show victory. Congrats! I heard it was a great show. I just wish I could have seen it!

It was apparent I wasn't the only one missing out. I probably would have been able to get in, but I had to park what felt like miles away in a lot near the front of the school. Then as I walked to the gym I had to take a long detour because of the construction for the new Student Center.

When I finally got to the doors I was met by a group of familiar faces who also had tickets and were unable to get in. It was like a who's who outside the gym. Members of fraternities and sororities, former student leaders and former employees of the university stood outside trying to make those calls for help, but to no avail.

So I missed the step show and homecoming was off to a rocky start, to say the least...at this point it could only get better.

No comments: